Beyond back care - are we missing the trick?
Friday 10 October 2014
During this webinar, we will look at factors that affect performance, wellbeing and health related to MSK disorders, in particular, chronic back issues. We will also learn about the seven pillars of personal performance (PERFORM) which may help to prevent or alleviate (with treatment) back pain. These include:
- Positive mindset
- Recovery & recuperation
- Food & fuel
- Movement & exercise
Tim is the non-executive director of Optima-Life UK, which specialises in technology and services for optimising health and performance in work, sport and everyday life.
Tim graduated from the University Of Sydney as a physiotherapist in 1994, and pursued a career in healthcare focusing on elite level sports physiotherapy. He has since worked with London Irish RFC, Surrey CCC, England Cricket U19’s & Sydney 2000 Olympics, culminating in the role of Head of Performance for Sussex CCC. He is currently undertaking a Masters in Public Health at The University of London, specialising in Health Services Management.
Presentation & notes
The top 8 points are all around sleep, stress and recovery in helping to overcome or maintain MSK and chronic back pain issues:
- Organise your routine to permit more sleep
- Minimise interruptions by 'preparing the bedroom'
- Be tactical regarding your sleep cycles
- Consciously choose relaxation activities that help you unwind and calm down before you go to bed
- Try not to work on the computer or do work just before you go to bed
- Minimum 2 mornings a month enforced lie-in, take regular time-outs / mini-breaks / holidays, pamper yourself
- Replace alcohol and cigarettes with exercise. If you can’t stop - Moderation, Moderation, Moderation and Get Help!
- Reduce Caffeine input - be aware just how much caffeine you have on a daily basis