In recognition of Backcare Awareness Week 2018 (8-12 Oct), we're knocking 20% off nearly everything on our website when you enter the code BCAW18 at checkout. We're also asking: what can we do to prevent back pain at work?
Around the globe there are around 540 million people suffering with back pain at any one time. That's according to a Lancet paper published in March 2018. It also reported that in Europe, back pain is the most common reason for taking certified sick leave and entering into early retirement.
Unfortunately there is no one-size-fits-all cure for back pain. However, there are things we can do to try to prevent its occurrence - especially at work. Consider the following:
- Chair - Use an adjustable ergonomic chair to find the appropriate settings for your anatomy.
- Assessment - Have a DSE assessment to evaluate the suitability of your workstation.
- Monitor arms - Use blocks or adjustable monitor arms to raise screens to the appropriate height (the top should be at eye level).
- Portable tech - Limit use of laptops, phones and tablets, and use laptop stands and detachable mice and keyboards where possible.
- Movement - Move and stretch every 20 minutes.
- Sit-stand desk - If possible, use a sit-stand desk to increase activity levels.
- Exercise - Undertake regular exercise - a mix of cardio, stretching, and weights.
- Heavy lifting - Avoid heavy lifting, or undertake training to do so safely.
Raising awareness about back care is important in the workplace, as pain can so easily be prevented. We frequently produce free infographics that aim to present useful information in beautiful ways. Here are some relevant ones to try:
Backcare Awareness Week Sale - the nitty-gritty
We want to make back care products accessible to everyone. That's why we've launched a big 20% off sale on most of the products on our website. Please note the terms and conditions that apply below.
This 20% off* offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Web only, while stocks last. Offer starts Monday 8 October at 12.01 am and ends 11.59 pm on Sunday 14 October 2018. *Excludes Plantronics headsets, Fellowes and VARIDESK branded products, assistive technology, BodyBilt chairs, assessments, chair set-ups and clearance lines.