We have always believed in the importance of good Corporate Social Responsibility at Posturite. Our values and ethics, based on a respect for individuals and for the environment, have been part of our culture since we started!
Our CSR policy sets out the wide range of initiatives we take, which go well beyond the minimum requirements and clearly demonstrate our real commitment to sustainability. Setting out these initiatives ensures that we can measure and report our performance with confidence and look for ways we can continue to improve.
To create a more meaningful CSR programme, we have identified six key CSR themes of particular importance across our work:
- Sustainable business transport – local or public
- Local sustainable materials – local traders
- Protection of culture and heritage
- Waste minimisation
- Equality, honesty and fair trade
- Health and happiness
Posturite is committed to reducing our environmental footprint by cutting emissions and by using our expertise to source the most responsibly manufactured products to offer. Our unique position allows us to use a stringent sourcing policy with beneficial environmental credentials at its core.
This is the start of our journey in reducing our impact on the natural world. We have already made important strides - Posturite has been BN/EN/ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems certified since 2008 and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified. To demonstrate our commitment to environmental sustainability we have removed all fossil fuel from our Head Office in Berwick, East Sussex. Our electrical usage also now comes from 100% renewable energy (Bioenergy 47.8%, Wind 32.7%, Photovoltaic 11.7%, Hydro 7.8%).
Our Sustainability Policy is based upon the following principles:
- To comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
- To integrate sustainability considerations into all our business decisions.
- To ensure that all staff are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- To minimise the impact on sustainability of all office and transportation activities.
- To make clients and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy and encourage them to adopt sound sustainable management practices.
- To review, annually report, and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
For the first time in 2023 we will measure scope 1 and 2 emissions. We plan to reduce emissions and consider how we offset those measures. More needs to be done and the company will be at the forefront of the industry as we manage resources responsibly to realise our vision for embedding sustainability in all aspects of our business.
See also: 5 good eco-friendly office furniture choices to make your office more sustainable.
People and Communities
We offer apprenticeships, training, work experience and employment opportunities for people in and around the communities in which we work and we set internal targets to ensure that we continue to train and develop our own people.
We actively encourage employees to take part in voluntary activities that benefit charities and community organisations close to where we live and work. To help support this, every Posturite employee is offered one fully paid day each year to volunteer for a charity close to their heart.
In 2023 we started a major charity partnership with the Stroke Association. This fantastic charity provides specialist support, research and campaigns to make sure people affected by stroke get the very best care and support to rebuild their lives.
In 2023 alone, Posturite has supported the Stroke Association in the following ways:
- Donated £8,576 during our Support Stroke Sale
- Raised over £10,000 for the Posturite Pedal for Stroke – an event with 86 staff participants
- Volunteered as Connect and Chat telephone volunteers
- Supplied free headsets and sit-stand desks to charity staff
- Raised over £505 at a staff quiz night
- Provided free training to the charity’s inhouse DSE Assessors
- Raised awareness of aphasia during Stroke Awareness Month